Saturday, December 3, 2005

Happy Holidays

On December 1, I found something out. The chocolates inside a chocolate advent calendar aren't good. This is upsetting to me because for what seemed like my whole childhood, I wished I could have a chocolate advent calendar because it combined two of my favorite things: chocolate and advent calendars. I still have an advent calendar every year, I guess because I have a sense of nostalgia, and I can remember rushing downstairs after waking up to see what was behind that little window. I can even remember a few times when mom bought the cheap ones that allowed you to seperate the back panel from the front and peer down to see all of the pictures (that kind of ruined it). What happens to that insatiable curiousity as you get older? Mine is gone. Obviously I approach my advent calendar with less zeal, but that is to be expected. It seems that everyone is less excstatic I still get pretty excited about the holiday (until yesterday, Billy and I were the only ones to have Christmas lights on our balcony and windows, which led me to believe they were against the rules... they're not). However, that curiousity is gone.

Each time we get paid they put a paystub in our school mailboxes that breaks down the taxes and such. Yesterday was pay day, and as I was sitting in my classroom grading papers after the students had left, the teacher who is in charge of the Giving Tree got on the intercom and said "Teachers, please come select a card from the Giving Tree, you don't have an excuse, we just got paid today!" Then I realized that my pay stub was sitting in my mail box, but that wasn't enough to motivate me to go get it. A few minutes later I realized that I was going to be paid my extra stipend for sponsoring student council either in this paycheck or in the next one, so I might have about $1000 extra in this pay stub. I still just sat there and continued grading papers for about half an hour until I had to go to the bathroom, so I walked over to the office as well to see if I'd been paid extra (I hadn't). This leads me to believe, in retrospect, that my curiosity is ABSOLUTELY gone. If I needed the money, I'm sure I would have rushed down there, but that would have been out of necessity rather than curiosity. If opening a paper to see whether I was $1000 richer didn't make me curious, I would guess nothing will. It makes me pretty sad that the curiousity was outweighed by my desire to finish grading one class period's persuasive essays so I would only have the other class's to grade over the weekend.

In related news, there was a wrapped present behind the cardboard window today. I put the chocolate in my mouth because I decided the chocolate was gross on the 1st, I threw the chocolate away yesterday, and I thought I might have been a bit too harsh on it the first day. I wasn't. It tastes like feet. It shouldn't even be allowed to be called chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. if mom got you a chocolate advent calender this year i am so jealous, because mine is certainly not. but then again i've had them in the past, and you're right, the chocolate really isn't good at all. especially when the dogs eat it. i love advent calenders, especially because when i switch back to mom's house i get to open like 6... it's pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete