Friday, June 16, 2006

How My Luck Changed, or How I Almost Missed My Flight, or How My Dress Almost Got Ruined



My trip home was quite an adventure. First, I tried to sabotage the whole thing by forgetting my purse at Round Table Pizza the night before I left and didn't notice that it was missing until after they closed and all the employees were gone. This brought on a panic because my flight left at 10:10am and Round Table didn't open until 11. The airline people told me I might be able to get on the plane if I had other forms of identification, but I was still pretty stressed out about it because if I missed my flight, I wouldn't be able to get home in time for anyone to pick me up from the airport. There was obviously the chance that someone had stolen my purse, or things inside it, as well. Before we left for the airport at 8am, we stopped by Round Table and much to my surprise, the employees were already there, they had my purse, thus averting disaster.

I purchased my wedding dress while I was home, so I had to take that on the plane with me. Southwest doesn't have hanging closets, so I had to put the dress above me in the overhead compartment. After a long day of traveling I made it to Baltimore, opened up the overhead bin, and MY GARMENT BAG WAS COVERED IN COFFEE. Some dumbass put her coffee in the overhead bin. I almost started to hyperventilate, and I had to get paper towels from the stewardess so I could wipe off the garment bag before opening it to see if any of the coffee had gotten through. LUCKILY nothing got on my dress. Thank goodness I had the plastic $10 garment bag from the bridal shop rather than a real garment bag because everyone's stuff was soaked in coffee. The woman took her cup down and I know she had to see that I was wiping up all of her coffee, but she didn't offer to help. I looked at her and said "Was that your coffee?" and she just sort of nodded. I pointed to the garment bag and said "That's my wedding dress," expecting her to say something like "I'm so sorry, did anything get on it?" but all she said was "Oh." So I said "Luckily it is fine, but I'm sure whoever's coat this is probably isn't going to be very happy" (it was soaked). She said "I didn't realize it would tip over." Not a single sorry, or anything.

I believe these two near-misfortunes can be attributed to good karma. When Dad took me and Billy to starbucks, someone had left a $20 bill on the counter in front of the register and I handed it to the lady rather than pocketing it. I doubt if the original owner ever noticed that he/she was missing the $20 until after leaving starbucks, but I told the lady to put it in the tip jar if no one claimed it, so each barista probably picked up a couple of bucks, and this good deed afforded me a few lucky strokes of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment