Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snow Falling on Cedars

The snow has finally stopped! To show all you out-of-towners how much snow 2+ feet is, I thought I would put together a little comparison montage.

Looking out the front door Friday afternoon. Some of Tuesday's snow was still on the ground.

Looking out the front door this morning. Billy had been shoveling all night, but you can hardly tell!

Front of the house in the summertime:

Front of the house today:

Patio furniture Friday morning:

Patio furniture Friday night during some of the heaviest snow:

The deepest measurement on the table after it stopped snowing was 23.5 inches. Taking fresh measurements every 6 hours, Billy calculated a total of 27.7 inches.

The Dads playing washers in the backyard:

No one playing in the back yard:

Chilling in the yard:

Chilly in the yard:

Our pond in the summer:

Our pond today:

Relaxing on the deck in the summer:

Shoveling the deck today:

Billy snapped this pic of all the snow on the roof. Somewhere under there is a DirecTV dish, but luckily we don't use it, or we probably wouldn't be seeing the Super Bowl tomorrow.

I had to stop helping with the shoveling once the snow pile got taller than my head. I couldn't throw the snow on top anymore.

Now the snow pile we created is so tall that we can't even see the cars from the front step!
I took advantage of my time indoors to finish preparing for my presentation in class on Monday. I don't feel too optimistic that class will be meeting on Monday, though!

Hope everyone is staying warm! Curious about the storm system that created this mess? Billy has written a summary on his Maryland weather blog.

(Snow Falling on Cedars is David Guterson's first novel which, like Inada's Legends from Camp, deals with the aftermath of the Japanese-American internment during WWII. Things I like about this book include: it takes place in the Pacific Northwest, it has a character named Chambers, it addresses issues of war, it has scenes in a courtroom, and it relates to the newspaper industry. Also, it made me desperate for strawberries, and if a book makes me physically hungry, I know it has touched me. Check it out. Snow Falling on Cedars has also been turned into a movie, which I haven't seen though I love Ethan Hawke. Incidentally, I don't know if we have cedars here in Maryland. I only know cedar by smell, not by sight.)

2 comments:

  1. Liz,
    I am very glad you don't use your Direct TV dish. After a day and a half of no TV, I crawled out of our bathroom window to get the snow off our dish. I don't recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Kate! I'm glad you lived to tell of this precarious maneuver!

    ReplyDelete