Friday, March 1, 2013

Welcome, Julian Beck!

One of the posts I'm way behind on publishing is one to welcome my friend Anne-Marie's new baby, Julian Beck!  He was born on February 6 at a healthy 8+ pounds!  I know there are no "awards" given out for childbirth, but if there were, Anne-Marie definitely earned one.  She labored for a really long time while recovering from a broken patella, and since little JB came out in the posterior position, he did not make it easy on her.  We are so happy that mom and baby are healthy, and we're excited to welcome Anne-Marie and Jon into the chaotic and amazing world of parenthood!

I've been lucky enough to visit Anne-Marie and JB a few times since he was born.  I know Anne-Marie and Jon are still in the stage where they feel very overwhelmed by the demands of a newborn, but these few visits confirm my suspicion that they are going to be great parents.  They've been successful at keeping Julian calm whenever I've been around, he seems curious and alert when he's awake, and he is gaining weight like a champ.

Watching such a close friend go through the newborn adjustment period has been an uncanny reminder of what that period was like for me.  Anne-Marie helped me keep my spirits up while I tried to navigate the anxiety I felt as a new mom, so it is nice to be able to offer her encouragement now.  Mostly, I just tell her the things I'd tell myself if I could go back in time:  Everything will be okay.  Nursing will get easier and easier until you actually enjoy it.  The days are so long, but the weeks and months go by so quick.  Enjoy every other minute.  It really does get better once you hit that three month mark.  Don't be so hard on yourself. Leave the house, even if you only go to target.  You will get to sleep again... and so on.  Plus, now that Nora is a full-blown toddler, having another infant to visit and new mom to talk with serves as a welcome reminder of that anxious but amazing first year with Nora that went by all too fast.  Anne-Marie let me hold Julian in the Baby K'tan as we walked around the mall, and as I wrapped him up in a big hug, it took me right back to those days when Nora was an itty bitty thing.   But then I got to go home for a full night's sleep, so it feels like the best of both worlds!



Congratulations again, Anne-Marie and Jon!  I can't wait to see Julian and Nora get to know one another as they grow.

2 comments:

  1. Julian and I are both so lucky to have friends like you (and Nora!). Thanks for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to AM & J, and welcome little Julian Beck (I love that name)! There is so much stylish cuteness going on in these pictures - not that I would expect anything less. Though don't expect another Scholar Style Guide baby anytime soon - unless it is a sibling for J or N :)

    ReplyDelete