Monday, February 6, 2006

Things are looking up

For one reason or another, things are going much more smoothly at school. I don't know if it is because we made oregami frogs and had a jumping frog contest or if it's because i'm showing a whole movie (All the Pretty Horses) as a reward for doing well on the test, but my juniors seem to like me these days, which makes my day go by more smoothly. I know I haven't updated in a while, so I thought I would just post some of the random ideas that have been bumping around in my brain.

-The world was a better place when Britney Spears ruled it. Or at least, the Super Bowl was better when she was in the Pepsi commercials and the halftime show.

-I don't know if people really get what they deserve in life, but I do know that your children end up paying for your mistakes. I see this with my students every day. This is an even better motivation for me to behave like a productive member of society than just knowing that I will get what I deserve.

-Last week I spent over an hour trying to make it through the last 5 miles of my commute (an accident shut the road down). While this was frustrating, I saw something I have been waiting my entire adult life to see: somebody got pulled over for thinking he was more important than everybody else and driving up the shoulder. Those people drive me crazy, and I slept a tiny bit better knowing that at least one person had to pay for it.

-I have rediscovered the person inside me that really enjoys running. I had forgotten how much I always hated the first mile.

-The Northern High School student paper can expect to never get a quote from me again. They asked me if I had a new year's resolution, and I said no, but I explained that my boyfriend was trying to get in shape for a cruise so I guess you could say my resolution was going to the gym with him. They published the quote as follows: "We are going on a cruise in July, and my boyfriend needs to get in shape before then, so I am making him work out." That was fun to have to deal with all day. When I called it to the attention of the newspaper teacher, he said "If it was a misprint, we're sorry." IF it was a misprint?? I just told you it was!

-For a few months the boys in my 7th period class have been bringing me the fruit out of their lunch that I guess their moms think they eat. Last week one of them upped the ante and brought me Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. When he brought them again the next day, I told him that it was one thing to give me leftover fruit, but I feel guilty having him buy me cookies I don't need. Since then I have not gotten any cookies NOR have they brought me fruit, so I am a little disappointed.

-When the touchdown the Seahawks scored in the first quarter was called back, it cost me $50 in our pool. I'd just like everyone to know that.

-ESPN says Joe Montana didn't go to the Super Bowl as a past MVP because he wanted to be guarranteed $100,000 to make his appearance and they wouldn't give it to him. I hated him when I was young and now he has made me hate him all over again.

-My favorite commercial during the Super Bowl was when the lady tried to climb over people on the airplane and ended up in the man's lap. That is me every time I try to fly home- well, not the ending up in someone's lap part, but the getting trapped by the window while having to pee part.

-My favorite TV show is The Office and I don't even work in an office. I regularly laugh quite loudly while watching. And if Pam and Jim don't get together, I might die.

-I finally saw that penguin movie and it was even better than everyone said. Especially on our TV. I felt like I was there, except it didn't smell bad, and I bet all of those penguins smashed together in one place would be really really smelly.

-I was sad that Sheryl Crow and Lance Armstrong broke up.

-Billy got an iPod. They're really all they're cracked up to be.

-In one week I broke both our computer and our printer. I broke the computer the day after the warrantee ran out. Typical.

-We haven't turned our heat on all winter and our apartment temperature is averaging about 85 degrees. I don't know if our neighbors below are running a hot stove yoga studio, or what, but I am worried about how expensive it will be to keep this place cool in the summer.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment