Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Sun Also Rises

I'm finding my way back to making progress.

I'm on the verge of having something brilliant to say about Willa Cather, if I can just find the time to put my thoughts together.

I went for a run today for the first time in over a week. I need it. I shouldn't wait that long.

The sun is shining, and it's warm outside. This might be the last day like this for quite some time, so I'm thankful that it came on my day away from the office.

My friend Erin got a good guidance counselor job at a good high school, even in October, even in "this economy." And she'll have fewer students, so she might actually get a chance to give them "guidance."

My dad's angiogram went well.

I have an approved paper topic for the paper I have due a week from Thursday.

My dog returned from the vet with "What a sweetheart!" written on his "report card."

I'm not sick with the Swine Flu or a cold or anything else that's going around.

And while running this morning, I was asking myself: Do I really want to keep doing this for four more years? And the answer is still yes. This graduate school thing is hard, and it's hectic, but it's never boring or routine. Some days, I even get to sleep in until 7:30.

(The Sun Also Rises is a novel by Ernest Hemingway about a man coping with life in a post-war world and the feeling that the thing he wants most is unattainable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment