Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Perfect Mile

I've been super busy, and I realize I've been neglecting the blog.  I mean to tell you what I've been up to, but the days have been slipping away even more quickly than usual!  This week is the Legg Mason Tennis Classic, so I'm actually sitting at my new desk on campus, waiting for my friend Anne-Marie to get here so we can head over to Rock Creek Park to catch today's action.  In the meantime, though, this year the Annapolis Striders have a photographer on the course snapping pictures, and he just recently uploaded hundreds from the most recent races (thanks, Rob Smith!).  I thought I'd post them here to share with you until I have more time to write--

June: Father's Day 10K Photos

That's me in the middle!



I snuck right into the corner of this next one, but I'm including it because you can see Patti, Chuck, and Billy cheering for me as I near the finish:


And in case you were wondering what I look like immediately before I throw up, here's this one:



July: One Mile Track Run 


I can't tell if that's a look of determination or desperation, but please note that I was properly attired in my Livestrong gear to celebrate the final weekend of the Tour de France.

August: 8K Cross Country Run

I'm wearing a white top and black shorts in these.  If that doesn't help you identify me, I'm the one in the middle who looks like she's walking in both photos.  I don't know why it looks like that-- it was only the start of the race!



And it might be even harder to find me in this one, but that's me running up the hill right past the mile marker, trying to pass the guy in all black.

I promise I'll be back to give you the recap on the cross country race and everything else I've been doing once I get a break from all the excitement of out-of-town visitors, an intensive German class, and an exciting tennis tournament!

(The Perfect Mile is a book by Neal Bascomb that documents the competition between Bannister, Santee, and Landy to be the first man to run a mile under 4 minutes in the 1950s.  I haven't read it but I'm sure I'd be fascinated by it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment