Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Rise of Public Science

Last night before bed, I was complaining to Billy that I had to start reading this book before classes even begin.  (Full title: The Rise of Public Science: Rhetoric, Technology, and Natural Philosophy in Newtonian Britain, 1660-1750, by Larry Stewart)

He was not buying it.  "You signed up for this," he told me.  He also reminded me that I like it.  (I did not remind him that not only did I sign up for it, I exhausted myself for 18 months for the opportunity to do it.)

When I suggested that I should get a little bit of a break because I read a whole book the day before (Achebe's Things Fall Apart), he told me that all I'd done was proven his point.  "But anyone would rather read a story than an essay," I tried to get him to acknowledge.

"If it was all candy and gumdrops, everyone would have a PhD," he said.

I love my husband.

(And dare I admit, I began the book today, and I actually find it quite interesting.  And he will find it interesting, too, when I've read enough of it to talk to him about it.  Though he might not admit it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment