Monday, December 13, 2010

Third Girl

On January 18, I wrote:
A few weeks ago, I officially joined the Annapolis Striders. This year's goal: qualify for the Championship Series. There are 8 races in the series, and to qualify, you have to run in at least 6 of them. The distances are 5k, 10mi, 10k, 1mi, 8k, Metric Marathon (26.2k/16.3mi), 5mi, and 15k. 


Yesterday was the last race of the year, and so I officially qualified for the Championship Series.  And because I dragged myself (and Billy) out in the cold drizzle for 15k/9.3 miles, I secured my third place position.


Yesterday's race was pretty difficult.  It was in the 40s with a light drizzle, so although that was highly preferable to snow or 40s and pouring rain, it was still a bit bone chilling by the end.  Neither Billy nor I could peel my banana until we had been in the car long enough to warm up our hands.  I ran slow, and my legs are still aching from the rolling hills, but I finished.  And that was the main goal.

I also wrote in that post that I wanted to get close to a 9 minute mile pace, but that just hasn't happened.  I'm running slower and slower every time, it seems.  After a too-hot-to-run-outside summer and a demanding, exhausting fall semester, though, I'm pleased that I stuck with the goal and continued showing up for races even though the times I was able achieve were not my best.  Maybe next year I can work on improving my pace.

This year, though, in running and in life, has been about putting my head down and sticking with it.  The Championship Series is a nice reminder that sometimes there is a prize for slow and steady, even if that does not win the race.  (Literally: There's a prize for 3rd place.  My first running prize!)  Of the 12 people in my age group that registered, only 4 of us stuck with it through the end, which reminds me that my determination will continue to set me apart from others.



Speaking of which, I've got to get back to this final paper for my Postcolonial studies class.  It's the last thing standing between me and my winter "break," though I took a break yesterday to run the race and do some Christmas shopping.

(Third Girl is a novel by Agatha Christie.  I've never read an Agatha Christie novel, but the title works. : ))

No comments:

Post a Comment