Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Odds and Ends

I've been so busy with my looming prospectus deadline that I've fallen behind on sharing pictures of Nora.  Here are a whole bunch of them from the past two or so months!

A few weeks ago Nora's school had a "Super Hero Spirit Day" where you they were supposed to wear their favorite superhero tee shirts.  Nora doesn't have one of those, so I used fabric markers to do one better: a whole Wonder Woman costume!  She happened to have red shoes and the perfect shorts, but I knew she was on board with the project when she picked up her Slinky of Truth for the pictures!

 

We got Nora a kiddie pool when the weather got warm, and it is a much bigger hit this year than it was last summer.  She loves sitting in it and splashing all around, and Billy and I like that putting our feet in the chilly water makes sitting out in the yard with her more bearable.  She loves to be outside no matter how hot it is, but sometimes we get quite sweaty playing with her "ousside."


Billy's cousin Jacelyn's family moved from a townhome into a single family home, so they had us all over for a family cookout last month.  Nora is finally old enough to really play with Cash and Lily (rather than just watching them run around and have fun), but I was still surprised by how much she insisted on participating in the slip 'n slide fun!  Jacelyn and Allen's new house is perfect for summer playtime, so we are glad we got to enjoy this day together as a family.








Nora has two teachers in her classroom, and one of them decided to leave the day care center in order to spend the rest of her summer at home with her little boys.  We were happy she has the opportunity to spend more time with her own children, but I know Nora misses her.  We have had such a good experience with the teachers at this location that we are sure Nora will warm up to her replacement quickly.  I already miss Ms. Candice myself-- in part, because now Nora no longer comes home with these beautiful braids!  She does NOT sit still long enough for me to do this with her hair. : )


While they were visiting family in Delaware, our old friends Erin and Brent from my Calvert County days brought their daughter Julia over to visit us for a day.  This was the first time we've seen them since Julia began walking, so it was fun to see her and Nora interact a lot more.  She was a little weary of Nora's rough-and-tumble ways, but I think they will eventually be great friends!


And finally, one of my friends in the PhD program held her annual backyard cookout, so I took a break from what I've been calling "prospectus purgatory" to do some actual socializing.  Since there are plenty of people who criticize the decision to have a child as a grad student, it was extra nice to be surrounded by the classmates who've always been supportive of my decision.  This was the first time those of us who've had babies since we started in the program were able to get them together to play, and it was a delight for me to see them interact. After two year old Cy taught Nora how to pull ice cubes out of the cooler, she spent the rest of the evening trying to find more single cubes in there.  Though you wouldn't know it by their sizes, my friend Maggie's son Xavier was born almost exactly a year after Nora.  I know the nature of our profession will take all these littles to different parts of the country, but I hope I'll get to follow their development online throughout the years.  They have a special place in my heart as Nora's fellow Tiny Terrapins!






No comments:

Post a Comment