Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wedding Season Begins!

This summer, everyone we know is getting married. On Saturday, we missed a wedding in Pennsylvania to attend the wedding of Billy's high school friend, Kevin, here in Maryland. The ceremony was nice, the reception was fun, the after-party in Federal Hill was entertaining. We got the chance to catch up with some friends we haven't seen in a while. And most importantly, the bride and groom seemed very happy!

Before we left, I managed to squeeze in a run and watch 17 year old American Melanie Oudin upset Jelena Jankovic in the third round at Wimbledon. I've never been a JJ fan, and it was fun to watch a young kid with a lot of determination stick with it and pull out the win of her life so far. I had to miss the other matches yesterday, but was glad to see that both Andys advanced with relatively little difficulty. Although there haven't been a lot of huge upsets, week one was full of exciting matches, and I am sure week two will not disappoint. Roddick is looking better than he has in years, and he's finally starting to get (what I believe is) proper recognition. Though he'll likely have to go through Andy Murray to get to the final, I am optimistic. I am excited to see how it all pans out. Oudin has a favorable matchup in the fourth round, so I will be cheering for her to make it to the quarters, but otherwise it looks like it will be a Williams vs. Williams final. I think Serena might have what it takes to beat Venus this year. The Legg Mason Tennis Classic, which takes place here in DC in August, just released its list of players. Billy and I are planning to get tickets to the quarterfinal and semifinal matches, so we should get to see a lot of great matches and some of the world's top players (including Andy!).

Today was middle Sunday, so the void left by Wimbledon's rest day was thankfully filled by the US vs. Brazil soccer match. I was sorry to see that they lost hold of their early lead, but it got me excited about World Cup qualifying and made me think there might be reason to watch the World Cup next year. I hope they will outlaw those terrible horns, though. I can't figure out why the fans blow them constantly throughout the game. Why not wait until a good play, or a goal is scored?

Work wise, the past week has been fairly uneventful. I work three more days this week before leaving for New York on Friday, and I'm really looking forward to our vacation. It will be fun to be a part of Erin and Brent's wedding, to take in Cooperstown with my dad, and to see old friends at Nick and Amber's wedding. Then Billy and I will be home to relax for what's left of our summer. Time moves so fast these days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment