Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bits and Pieces

A few things here and there...

I can never make up my mind about Roger Federer. When he's on top, I'm desperate for anyone to beat him. When he looked fallible, I was cheering for him to make it back to the top. But it annoyed me when, after beating Andy at Wimbledon, he pulled a jacket out of his bag that had "15" emblazoned across the back. Today, I'm happy imagining that there is an article of clothing inside Roger Federer's racquet bag, designed to celebrate 6 US Open victories in a row, which never got to see the light of day. Congratulations are in order for Juan Martin del Potro, who becomes the first person to defeat both Federer and Nadal in a Grand Slam tournament. Neither played their best against him, but he rose to the challenge.

Patrick Swayze has lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. As a member of the generation of girls who grew up loving Johnny Castle, I feel sad. I have always felt, though, that his real life love story with his wife, Lisa Niemi, was more inspiring than any of his movies. My thoughts are with her as she tries to imagine life in a world that no longer includes the man she's been with since she was, I believe, only 15.

They have begun building the James Webb Space Telescope that Billy is working on. You can read about it here.

Congratulations, Kanye West. You've succeeded in doing something so absurd and ridiculous that not one single person is willing to come to your defense-- I didn't know this was actually possible! Also, you should be required to attend just one session of my current seminar on aesthetic inquiry before you are allowed to use the word "greatest" or spout off about "real art" even one more time.

President Obama is coming to my campus on Thursday to speak about health care reform. I think I'll ask for the morning off. I find it hard to maintain my sanity in the traffic that hits College Park on a rainy day, so I don't think I will make it through the mayhem surrounding a presidential visit.

I came across this quote from Elliott Gould in Esquire, which I thought was especially profound. "It is essential that I listen, so I can try to minimize problems that I create for myself." If only I could remember this at all times.

All right, enough, I must get back to my reading for my Early Modern readings class. So far, I hate it. I've got a Willa Cather book in my bag that's burning a hole in my curiosity, but instead I'm trying to decode "The articles whereforth John Frith died." An article I read yesterday from the New York Times quoted some scholar who thinks a "conservative" estimate of what percentage of academic searches begin with Google is about 95%. In order to figure out what the heck John Frith is saying, to Google I go... where, evidently, I'm in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment