Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Elements of Style

This has been my expression for the past two and a half days:


I've been thinking about the relationship between Cather's The Professor's House and One of Ours since April. I've been actively researching it since August. The deadline for my PhD application is just over a month away, so I've been writing about it for the past two days and a half days.

In that time, I've put together 9.5 single spaced pages. An entire first draft, minus introduction and conclusion. I still have to figure out how to boil it down to about 8 pages, intro and conclusion completed. But I feel pretty good about it. Most of all, I feel good that these two and a half days are behind me.

I do love to write. Tonight on "Modern Family," one of the themes was finding something that you do the best. This is the thing that I do the best. I hope this paper is good enough to give me the chance to keep doing it.

(The Elements of Style by William Stunk and E.B. White is a must-own for anyone who takes writing seriously.)

No comments:

Post a Comment