Friday, December 18, 2009

The Leaning Tower

Good Morning from Winter Break!

I finished my paper, and thus, my semester! I managed to complete it on time to meet friends for dinner, drinks, and trivia on Wednesday night, which was a nice way to feel like a regular person again. Yesterday morning I did one final read-through of the paper before submitting it to my professor. I am pretty happy with how it turned out, so turning it in was a big relief.

It has been a really grueling semester. My body has evidently given in; I woke up yesterday sick. I very rarely get sick, but this time I definitely understand. I stayed well through the campus swine flu outbreak, and I didn't catch the illness that had Billy sidelined for several days, either of which would have made it hard for me to hit all the deadlines I had this semester. I think this is my body's way of saying, ENOUGH! I appreciate it holding off until my work was all done.

So today, since my boss told me stay home from work, I am huddled in on my couch with Oscar getting ready to watch Love, Actually. Billy has been telling me all week that we were going to get snow this weekend, and the closer it gets, the more probable it seems that we will be getting a LOT of snow. Check back this weekend for photos!

Thanks to everyone for your support and words of encouragement through this exhausting semester. I am really looking to spending time with friends and so much of my family over the break! I'm also looking forward to next semester, when I have a considerably lighter load and can really enjoy my life as a grad student AND a regular person.

And, by the time school starts up again, the Aussie Open will have already begun!!

("The Leaning Tower" is the final short story in The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter; it's the one I didn't get to in August before my semester started. I can't wait to begin it this weekend.)

No comments:

Post a Comment