Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Enjoying Every Minute

One of the things that drove me and Billy nuts when Nora was a colicky newborn was the number of people who told us to "enjoy every minute!"  We have been very honest with friends who are expecting babies about how difficult that period was because, going in, we had no idea we'd struggle as much as we did.  We've taken to telling friends, "If you can enjoy every other minute, you're doing just fine." I don't think it's fair to act as though loving your child enough will make every minute enjoyable.  In fact, I think part of the reason we had such a hard time was because we loved her so much.  If we'd loved her less, her distress wouldn't have bothered us so much.

I was thinking about this the other day and realizing that lately, I really have been enjoying every minute.  She is so much fun these days.  For example, this week she has started clapping periodically, which is adorable.  She has also started playing this fake laugh game with us.  When we laugh at her, she responds with this little fake laugh.  She keeps doing it until we laugh harder, so I'm convinced she is starting to learn what laughing means.  Plus, it often leads to her beginning to laugh for real, which is one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

Later that day, when I was nursing Nora to sleep, Billy said "You know how people tell you to enjoy every minute?  I do enjoy every minute with her now."  I think that since we know already how difficult parenthood can be, we're better able to appreciate how much fun we're having with her as she gets older.  I am also thankful to be mother-wise enough to know that there are plenty of difficult hurdles looming up ahead, which helps me savor this stage while it lasts.

Yes, my toy matches my dress, thank you!




2 comments:

  1. More later, but, for now, that blue dress is glorious. Classic, yet unique. Beautiful on Nora. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I adore that dress, too. I bought it (and the bubble outfit below it) for our professional photos, so I am hoping they will turn out well and we'll soon have beautiful pictures of her in that dress to save for posterity! Both are from Janie and Jack. Forget how much I love their clothes on Nora-- I would wear most of them (girls and boys!) if they came in my size. : )

      Delete