Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Father's Day 10K

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll remember that I used to be a member of a local running club.  If you have been reading from the start, you'll remember that this blog actually started in 2009 as a place where I described what it was like to train for the National Half Marathon in order to raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation in honor of my dad.  If you're new(ish) to the blog, you probably haven't read many posts about running because I haven't done much of it since I got pregnant.  In fact, I found out I was pregnant immediately before the first club race of 2011; I hadn't been feeling well and I wanted to make sure I wasn't pregnant before I went out in the cold and tried to push myself hard for 5k... but I was pregnant!  This means that after running a race about once a month starting in February 2009, I haven't run a race since my last 15k in December 2010.  


So when I started running again about two months ago, I decided I was going to aim for completing my club's Father's Day 10K.  I love this distance, and I was really bummed to have to miss the race last year because there are a lot of reasons I associate running with my dad.  Plus, the last time I ran this race, the weather was unusually hot and humid, I pushed myself harder than I meant to, I ran out of gas, and I got sick after crossing the finish line.  So I wanted a do-over.  When I casually began running again in late May, 6.2 miles sounded like way too many, but I found that I was able to run 2 miles without stopping to walk after only 2 or 3 runs.  Then I could run 4 miles without walking, and then I ran 5 just to make sure I could do 6.  I actually couldn't believe how easy it was to get back to running.  I thought I'd have to get my lungs and legs back into shape all over again, but I guess that after 2+ years of regular running and 9 months of lighter cardio, the body can go 7 months without doing anything and still maintain a fairly good level of fitness.  The weather on Sunday was perfect for race day, and Billy was kind enough to kick off his Father's Day watching Nora so I could head to the race.  (It ended right smack in the middle of her naptime, so we decided it would be better for them to stay home, even though I was bummed that this would be the first time Billy wouldn't be waiting for me at the finish line.  Hopefully they can come next time.)


I left all of my timing equipment at home because I was afraid I'd try to run too fast; my only goal was to finish.  I decided that if I was still feeling good around 4 miles I'd push myself to finish strong, and that's what I was able to do.  My average pace was about a minute and a half slower than my usual race pace, but all things considered, that was much better than I was expecting to do when I first set this goal for myself.  I loved getting out there again.  I learned that neon colors, running skirts, and those toe shoes have really taken over since I ran my last race.  There was even one guy running in what I'd describe as flip flops, which someone told me are actually called "invisible shoes."  They may be "invisible" but they are not "silent."  Thankfully he was way faster than me because the flip flop sound would've driven me crazy.  The one nuisance of running at this slower pace was getting caught amongst people who alternated between walking and running slightly faster than me.  I hate getting passed in these races, so it irritated me to keep getting passed by people who would then stop to walk, allowing me to pass them.  I guess this is just one more reason to keep working toward getting back to my normal pace!


It felt great spend the run thinking over all the running memories I've had with my dad.  It felt great run hard to the finish line and cross it.  It felt great to see young kids milling around with their parents and know that in a few years, Nora will be able to do the same.  It felt great to drive back home and talk about the race with Billy and Hernie, a friend of ours from college who visited us over the weekend.  I'm not very fast, and I don't intimidate anyone out there on the course, and really, I'm not "racing" anyone but myself and whoever happens to be ahead of me when the finish line comes in sight.  (I have to try to pass this person, always.  Dad taught me to do it, and now I can't really help it.)  But running these races is one of my "things" and it was really great to be able to do it again, this time as a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment