Sunday, August 9, 2009

26: A Look Back


Today's final, Roddick vs. del Potro, concluded a great week at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic. If Andy had won, it would have been perfect, but he lost 6-8 in the 3rd set tiebreak, making the week almost perfect. Really, there couldn't be a more fitting end to my 26th year.


This year has been not quite perfect. I wish my dad's tumors had not returned. I wish neither Patti nor Chuck had needed surgery. I wish Pop could eat a milkshake or drink a beer. I wish my brother (and so many others) hadn't been faced with difficult decisions as a result of our slumping economy.

But those things aside, age 26 has been an almost perfect one for me. And since I try to focus on the positive, I thought I'd use my pre-birth day to recall the best things about this year.

Billy and I enjoyed year 2 of marriage. Every day I come home to my best friend and the life we're making together. It makes everything else better.

My dad has endured and overcome another obstacle in his battle against cancer, and for the past several months, he has felt healthy. Billy and I got to enjoy a week with him in New York to celebrate.

After interviewing all last summer for graduate assistant positions on campus, I was finally offered the one that was the best fit for me. Not only is it a position in my own department, but I get to work with people I genuinely like.

My return to graduate school has been more challenging and more rewarding than I expected. I knew it would be intellectually stimulating, but I could not have anticipated that my classmates would be so interesting or that my professors would be so invested in helping me succeed. I love my program and am hoping they'll let me stick around a few more years.

In the program, I found another pea to go in my pod. I don't know why I'm fortunate enough to find a kindred spirit every time I start a new adventure, but having Anne-Marie along for the ride has made it even more fun.

The other peas in my pod also had great years. Danielle, Erin, and I enjoyed regular Sunday breakfasts and movie nights in the year leading up to Erin's wedding to Brent. Krista and Jordan had an adorable, healthy, happy baby girl and I get to see pictures of little Clara regularly. Kelsey returned from her stint in the Peace Corps in Ukraine and was accepted into the occupational therapy program at the University of Washington. I believe Vickie is involved in every extracurricular activity available to students at VU, and yet she maintains an interest in nursing and an excellent academic record.

Speaking of Vickie, she, Billy, Nate, and I got to celebrate her 21st in Vegas. An epic siblings weekend I'll never forget.

I got back into shape and ran a half marathon for a good cause. My friends and family members generously donated over $2000 (more than twice my goal!) to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

I've kept up with my running. I've found that it clears my head and helps me stay focused on all the other things I'm juggling. I love the ongoing competition with myself to improve and have continued competing in middle distance races about once a month.

I've enjoyed another year in the company of my in-laws. Baby Cash has added even more laughter and fun to our family get-togethers!

I got to unwind from a very hectic semester with a visit from Mom. It was great to welcome her into our home for the first time since we have been really settled and to spend some time showing her what our lives are like here.


I feel like I've been so fortunate this year that I'm not sure how age 27 can top age 26. There are several things coming up that are worth looking forward to, though: Billy finishing his master's degree, visiting my California relatives over the winter holidays, and graduating from my own master's program.

I know it is because I have such a great support system of family and friends that I am able to accomplish so many of the things that are important to me. Thanks, guys, for helping me find my way.

3 comments:

  1. Please no more references to "a pea to go in your pod" until you're actually pregnant! I see that phrase and think baby . . . it had me momentarily very confused. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you say that, because after I wrote it, it occurred to me that the maternity brand has really changed the meaning of that term. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are plenty of extracurriculars that I am not involved in, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete