Saturday, August 22, 2009

Treading Water

I'm trying to enjoy a lazy Saturday, the second to last one before the beginning of the new semester, but already my head is swimming. That old familiar feeling is back-- I've jumped into the deep end again. I'm excited for the new semester to start, but also nervous about the pressures it will bring.

I'm taking an AmLit Seminar called "Incommensure Beauty, or Aesthetic Inquiry and Minority Discourse in U.S. American Literary Studies." The title alone is difficult to digest, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not quite as excited about my readings class in Renaissance Lit, but it's a requirement, so I need to get it out of the way. Both of these are "regular" 3 credit courses. I'm also taking a 0.5 credit class called "Introduction to the Discipline" in which I'll learn more about the various paths within collegiate literary studies. I'm re-enrolled in my 1 credit Theory Colloquium class, and hoping I can gather the confidence to speak out loud and interact with my classmates during this go-round (no promises, however, as learning to think theoretically is still a work-in-progress for me). I've also been accepted into the 1 credit Publications Workshop, in which I think I'll be the only MA student working with a group of PhD students to refine one of my papers for publication. Deep end, indeed!!

In the midst of all this, I have to transform a paper I wrote last semester about Willa Cather into a PhD application writing sample. In my brain, I know the direction in which I want to take the paper, but finding the time for that will be a challenge. And somehow, I hope to continue my research on Katherine Anne Porter and her collection of books and papers at UMD. I met with the curator of the collection, who was very helpful, and I am excited about the prospects of this research project. Sometimes I wish my little brain was a little less curious, and could focus in on one thing to be really curious about at a time, in which case I might actually have the time to focus on it properly. I do have a knack, however, for figuring out how things ultimately fit together, so none of it ever ends up being a waste of time. I guess this is life in academia... and I'm thankful for the opportunity to devote my time to these various curiosities.

In other news, Billy and I made our debut last night as co-ed slowpitch softball players. Prior to the game, Billy's friend Rich told him I'd been assigned to play catcher. I interpreted this as an insult, so I was pleased to be promoted to 3rd base after Rich saw me throw the ball. Late in the game, I finally got a grounder hit toward me, and I kept my eye on the ball as it passed right through my legs, probably forcing Rich to reconsider his decision. : ) In my defense, I did cover the base, and Rich fielded the ball behind me, so it was an out at 3rd all the same. Billy made several good catches in the outfield and got on base 3 out of 4 at-bats, so all in all, I will deem the debut a success. We could use some practice, but I guess that is to be expected considering I haven't played in 15 years and he hasn't played in about 10. It was a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to getting to know my teammates better-- they seem like a good group... even if they did decide to call the team the "Master Batters."

Top 4 into the semis in Cincinnati- I am looking forward to the Federer/Murray matchup. The "other Andy," as I like to call him, has really grown on me in the past year. Since losing to Federer in last year's US Open final, Murray has beat Fed 4 times in a row, and a 5th win heading into the Open would be pretty epic. I don't even mind that my Andy is out of the mix for the weekend and still feel good about his chances in NYC.

Now it's off to clean up the house... if I don't get this place spotless before the semester begins, I'll be annoyed with the mess for months!

No comments:

Post a Comment