Saturday, August 29, 2009

Just Keep Playing

I'll be honest: it has not been the best week for my family. My dad learned that the tumors have returned to his liver, so we await the doctor's recommendation about which course of action to take for the next series of treatments. Pop was in the hospital for three days after becoming extremely disoriented on some new medication.

But, as Dad likes to say, there is nothing we can do except "Just Keep Playing." Dad still feels good and has enjoyed a chemotherapy-free summer. A friend of his points out the positives of having a medical team that is able to identify abnormalities before they begin to impact his liver function. Pop was discharged from the hospital yesterday and able to spend the night at home again. Despite the doctor's initial concern, he does not have pneumonia.

I've resumed training for my 10 miler. My hamstring injury has not gone away, but the farther I run, the less it seems to bother me, so I've decided to devote some extra time to stretching and just run through it. This morning's 8 miler felt better than my distance runs have in weeks. It's the final weekend before my semester stars, and since I got my pre-class reading assignments finished early, I have given myself a break from all things academic until Monday morning. Tomorrow we head to Oriole Park to celebrate the last day of summer with the boys of summer and $1 hot dogs and sodas. On Thursday I received a large, fragrant bouquet of flowers with a note from the florist apologizing that they were not delivered on the 7th (thanks Dad!). Vickie is living in the same apartment building I did senior year, and she informs me that they started off the year with a successful keg party. The US Open begins on Monday. Things could certainly be much worse.

1 comment:

  1. This is not the most helpful comment, but these circumstances will likely prompt you to dominate this upcoming semester. :)

    I'm praying that your dad's spirits remain high and that he continues feeling healthy!

    ReplyDelete