Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Finnegan's Wake

Happy St. Patrick's Day, from our house to yours!


Thanks for the care package, Mom!

We don't usually get into kitschy holidays around here, but I am thankful that St. Patrick's Day comes around once a year to remind me of the trip my roommates and I took to Ireland during Spring Break of our senior year at Valpo.  It is one of my favorite memories from college: Ireland is a beautiful place, the people there were unbelievably friendly, and I had a great time with my friends.  If I'd planned ahead, I would have unearthed some beautiful photos from that vacation.  Instead, I'll offer you Oscar eating his breakfast.


(What's is James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake about?  Your guess is as good as mine.  "Puns" would be my answer.  It appeals to me today not only because Joyce was Irish, but also because he worked on writing it until he went blind.  And then he kept working by dictating it.  Since I am about to begin writing the third draft of a paper I have been thinking through for a year, I am beginning to think I understand how he felt.)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Liz :) Oscar looks great! Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say that my shirt is cuter than Oscar's hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't I read more Joyce? During my senior year of high school I couldn't pull myself away from "Dubliners." Everyone says Ireland's lovely - since you say so, I'll add it to the life to-do list :)

    ReplyDelete