Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Golden Apples

I'm supposed to be writing a paper on Eudora Welty's The Golden Apples. The other day I mentioned this to Nate, who said "Isn't that from Greek mythology or something?" Turns out- yes. So thanks, Nate and Wikipedia.

I learned that Atalanta's golden apples are what got her off track. She didn't want to get married, so she said anyone who wanted to marry her had to beat her in a foot race. Some guy came in with his golden apples from Aphrodite and threw them in her way, so she was distracted by them and he beat her. Darn you, shiny, beautiful objects.

I have a lot to do this week, including this paper. I also have to give a presentation tomorrow on the same paper that I'll be presenting at the Narrative Conference in April. The problem is, there are also a lot of golden apples. These include:

1) The perfect home manicure.I have officially perfected the home manicure. The key is Orly Sec'n'Dry quick dry topcoat. The topcoat makes the polish dry to the touch almost instantly, even after two or three coats of polish. This weekend, my mother-in-law, Patti, asked me which OPI polishes I've had my eye on. A few nights ago, she dropped off three brand new bottles to congratulate me for all my hard work so far. I'm currently wearing OPI Bubble Bath, which is Giada De Laurentiis's signature color and quite possibly my new go-to neutral. I'm polished and ready for tomorrow's presentation. (Though my paper could use another run-through.)

2) Tuesday night, Billy was meeting friends for drinks at Applebee's. How could I pass up Tequila Lime Chicken?

3) Last night, Maryland played Duke at home on senior night. I didn't have tickets, so I had to catch as much of the game on TV as possible. Now the Terps have won 12 of their last 14, can win a share of the ACC title, and have cracked the top 25!

4) Tonight, Jim and Pam are having their baby! (Yes, I realize they are fictional people. Don't you realize that much of my time is devoted to fictional people?)

5) Tomorrow, Billy is coming to watch my presentation, so he and I are getting dinner with Jamie and Katie afterward.

6) I've agreed to play on my friend and fellow Tolkien enthusiast Peter's intramural soccer team, and we have a game Sunday. In College Park.

7) Sunday is packed, actually. Sunday night, Danielle and I WILL be watching the Oscars. Sorry, Golden Apples.

Somehow, it will all get done. I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Bubble Bath looks great on you! I had no idea it was Giada's go-to color. A lot of people love that one, but I've never actually tried it. I'll have to check it out sometime! Very nice at-home mani too :)

    ReplyDelete