Saturday, December 10, 2011

Go Navy, Beat Army!

Today Navy beat Army for the tenth year in a row.  The game is always Navy's most important game of the year, but this year it was especially meaningful after the Mids lost to Air Force and failed to qualify for a bowl game for the first time in several seasons.


Nora, Billy, and I headed up to Billy's parents' house, where Vickie joined us to watch the game with Chuck, Patti, and Brian.  Being away from most of my family makes me extra appreciative that Billy's family members are so enthusiastic about welcoming us for all occasions, big and small.  It is heartwarming to see how delighted they are every time they see Nora and it is a big comfort to know that we have so much support from Billy's family as we learn how to be parents.  When Vickie started joining the DePriest gatherings last year, it was hard to imagine how family life in Maryland could get any better, but now that we have Nora, family gatherings are even more enjoyable.

Before Nora was born, I kept my plate so full that I very rarely got to enjoy a relaxing Saturday afternoon on the couch.  Especially during a year when it would be easy to dwell on the negatives, I am thankful for the way pregnancy and parenthood have forced me to slow down enough to recognize how fortunate I am in life's most basic ways.  I'm proud of the many academic and professional achievements I've accomplished, but they wouldn't mean much if I didn't have such wonderful people in my life.  To top it all off, Nora was more content today than she has been since before she got sick, which we hope is a sign of things to come!

1 comment:

  1. Ashley and I agree that Nora looks like a tiny adult, not a baby. Every facial expression seems to fit her surroundings. I think it must be because her brain is so big. It's a kick in the pants!

    Of course, I converse with dogs, so maybe I have a tendency towards projection.

    ReplyDelete