Friday, December 16, 2011

Two Month Doctor's Visit and a Big Thank You

Nora had her two month check-up today, but before I get to that, I want to say a sincere thank you to everyone who has encouraged me over the past two months.  Especially after these last few posts, I have been touched by those of you who've reached out to reassure me that I'm doing a good job, to tell me that Nora looks healthy and content, and to compliment me on being a thoughtful, caring mom.  I haven't been around a newborn since I was five, so in the past two months, I've had to teach myself how to breastfeed, soothe a crying baby,  get a baby to sleep, change a diaper, adjust to putting myself second at almost all times, keep functioning on little sleep, and more.  Thankfully, I have a husband living in my house who is learning these things along with me and who still manages to reassure me every day about what a good job I'm doing.  But we are so wrapped up inside this new parenting thing that it is sometimes hard to get our bearings.  It helps more than you might know to be told by experienced parents and non-parents alike that it is clearly evident how hard we are trying to do the best job we can and that we are doing a good job of meeting Nora's needs.

After struggling through my Dad's memorial weekend, I wrote that "When so many well-meaning people asked, Is there anything I can do to help?, I think my usual response was I don't think so.  I really didn't know until afterwards that what I needed most to get through the weekend was understanding, emotional support, and validation of my feelings.  And even if I had known that, I'm not sure I would have known how to ask for it."  Some of you who read this blog have figured out on your own that these are the same things I need as a new mom.  So thank you, truly, for commenting on the blog as well as sending me emails, facebook messages, texts, and more to reassure me.  And if you're looking for a way to help me in the months to come, this kind of positive reinforcement is what I need most.  I am beginning to realize that reassurance and praise are the best things you can give new parents, and I hope to remember that in the future as more and more of my friends have their own first babies.

Nora's two month office visit went off without a hitch.  She is now 21.5" long, keeping her around the 25th percentile for height, and she weighs 11 lbs 4.8 oz, which bumps her up to the 60th percentile for weight.  Our doctor says that she's a bit overweight, but since she is breast feeding there is no reason to be concerned about it.  She had to get her first round of immunizations today, but the help of a speedy tech and her chunky little thighs minimized her discomfort.  She screamed a few times and turned bright red, but as soon as I picked her up, she calmed right down and fell asleep.  Our doctor reiterated that we cannot spoil her at this age, so the best way to help her through this colicky stage is to keep doing what we've been doing.  He says reactions to the vaccines are very rare, so hopefully we will not see him again until Nora's four month check-up.

Maybe the best way to say thank you for your continued love and support is to share more photos of this tiny human I have spent the past two months keeping alive after spending the previous nine months growing her inside my body.  So here are some random recent ones:


She often sticks her bottom lip way out when she gets upset, which I know I did frequently as a pouty child.  Sometimes it stays that way even after I have calmed her to sleep!


I get a lot of these confused expressions when I get out the camera.  What is that giant black thing, Mama, and why are you putting it up to your face?


Watching Dad set up the tree-- It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!


I wish this one wasn't so blurry, but sometimes when Nora gets really excited, she smiles and sticks out her tongue.


She moves her hands all around now, and she can bring them to her mouth in a much more coordinated fashion, but she still sometimes looks at them like she doesn't have a clue what they are. 
: )


Also: It's now possible to "like" my posts like you can on facebook, though it is anonymous.  If you want to let me know you enjoyed the post but don't have anything specific to say, you can just click the "like" box beneath each posting.  And finally, I've added a slideshow of Nora's monthday pictures in the sidebar on the blog similar to the one I created for my belly pictures.  Thanks for reading and taking an interest in our little girl!

5 comments:

  1. Liz,
    How do I add the "like" feature on my blog? I like it! Har, har, har.
    :) Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I particularly love the photo of her on the couch near the tree. Glad to hear the whole fam is doing well - not surprised that you're not only a great mom, but particularly interested in being a great mom, too. What a fun holiday season this will be for you guys - looking forward to seeing what your daughter got you for a Christmas present:) And by the way, I couldn't help but laugh thinking about how the Dr. said Nora's a bit overweight - no wonder weight concerns for women start so early! I'm just jealous that her chunky thighs still are considered an adorable accessory to her body :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing more than okay, you guys are thriving! I've never head a Dr. tell a parent that their newborn is overweight. Be assured that chunkie = happy, healthy eater! Hoping that her fussy faze is soon outgrown. She sure is a cutie, Liz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're an amazing mom. And you know I've said this about you before, but never in my life have I met someone so rich with both feeling and precision. You were bound to be this careful and caring all at once. Silly as it sounds, I'm proud of you. You're doing a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the continued encouragement, ladies! I'm thankful to know so many kind, thoughtful, supportive women!

    ReplyDelete