Thursday, May 24, 2012

She looks like...

People are always asking us who Nora looks like or telling us who they think she looks like.  I almost never see it.  From the minute she was born, to me, she looked exactly like herself.  I could always see a mix of me and Billy in her, but I never thought she looked more like she belonged to one family or the other.

The day after she was born, Patti brough Billy's newborn picture to the hospital to show us how much she looked like him when he was born.  Even I could see that the similarities were quite striking.


The general consensus has been that as she's gotten older, Nora has begun to look less like Billy and more like me.  For the most part, I think this is because her hair has gotten lighter and her eyes haven't gotten any darker.  Usually, when people look at a picture and compare how Nora looks to how someone else looks, I still don't see it.  I guess my brain just doesn't draw those parallels.  But when Nate posted the picture from the crab house to facebook the other day with the caption "no-nonsense baby face," it immediately reminded me of my expression from a picture at our wedding reception.


It cracked me up to see the same head tilt and the same look in our eyes.  Even the eyebrow angle is the same; expressions must be inherited, too!  And for the first time, I could see why Patti thinks Nora has my chin.

Before she was born, Billy and I used to talk about things we wanted her to inherit from each of us, even though we didn't always agree.  She got several of the physical characteristics we didnt want to pass down to her, but she still turned out absolutely perfect.   : ) And while I'm glad she resembles each of us at different times, my answer to the "Who does she look like?" question remains the same: "She looks like our daughter."

2 comments:

  1. Just a heads up - that's the same face I saw whenever someone told you to finish your mashed potatoes as a child. You may have birthed your equal in the stubborn category :) .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,

    From the get-go I've seen you in Nora more so than Billy (possibly because I've had a deeper relationship with you than Billy over the years), but I think you've nailed it by saying that Nora looks like your daughter. We always joke in my family that we are all "soooo mom" or "sooooo dad". Ultimately, we always end up saying that if you put me, my parents, and my siblings in a room of 100 people, we have no doubt that a random person could find the six of us and say we fit together. I always think the hardest part of determine who children look like is separating physical attributes from mannerisms. They're often too interrelated to say it's one or the other.

    No matter, Nora is a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete