Friday, January 23, 2009

Just as...

Yesterday's Run:
Distance: 3.17km
Time: 26:22
Pace: 8:18 per km

I'm taking an entire class on JRR Tolkien this semester, so I'm about 500 pages into hobbits, dwarves, wargs, orcs, wizards, and elves. What a reader can't help but notice on their journey is that every time they start to lose faith, or be overcome by fear, help is just around the corner. I wish I could count up the number of sentences that start with "Just as," as in: "Just as Frodo nearly yielded to the temptation to slip on the ring, Gandalf emerged..."

I took this afternoon off so I can shift from PM runs into AM runs for the next several days. My legs are sore, and my lungs still burn after the first three minutes of the workout. I'm hoping that after tomorrow morning's run, I'll be able to say, "Just as Liz began to fear she would not get in shape for her Feb 1 qualifying run, she realized her lungs had doubled in capacity and all the lactic acid was flushed out of her legs." Help from wizards, elves, dwarves, and/or eagles may be needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment