Saturday, January 31, 2009

Qualifying Run Postponed

Today's Run:
Distance: 6 miles
Time: 1:26:25
Pace: 14:22 per mile

I am curious which one is more correct: the Nike+ sensor, which says I ran 6 miles, or the treadmill, which says I ran almost 7. I'm perplexed by this discrepancy, which becomes more pronounced the farther I run, because I use the treadmill to calibrate the sensor. But it's probably fair to assume the sensor is consistent, even if it's consistently skewed.

Either way, I'm not yet ready for tomorrow's qualifying run. Earlier this week I faced a bit of a conundrum, because I could have focused on speeding up my 3 mile time in order to race this weekend, but I would have had to do that at the expense of my distance training.

So, instead, I'll continue focusing on speed during my short runs and endurance on my longer runs, and I'll try to qualify on February 14. That day, I can choose between a 5k or a 10k, so I'll probably make that call a few days prior.

It would be easy to be discouraged by my slow pace today, but two weeks ago it would have been impossible for me to cover 6 miles without stopping every half mile to hyperventilate. So, I'll choose to focus on the positive, instead. My run today took longer than the Australian Open Women's Final, which I intended to watch for the entire 6 miles. At least I lasted longer than Dinara Safina did against Serena!

No comments:

Post a Comment