Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Outdoors vs. Treadmill

Today's Run:
Distance: 3.45k
Time: 28:39
Pace: 8:18 per km
Sentiment: I prefer running outdoors.


I don't try to hide the fact that I hate the cold. When I attend outdoor events, I tend to put on three times as many clothes as those accompanying me. I go out of my way to walk through buildings on campus to warm myself up along the way. Currently, I'm working on willing myself to Melbourne through strength of mind as I watch the Australian Open (some people consider 100 degrees to be "too hot," but unless I was actually playing in the match, no way).

Evidently, I hate the treadmill even more. Today I ran outside despite the fact that it was below freezing. This actually worked as a bit of an incentive, since I couldn't come back inside out of the cold until I had finished my loop. And, despite the fact that I was running up and down hills, I sped up my pace a little bit.

I wish it would warm up like 15 degrees, and I wish I could finally shake this cold. Then maybe I could feel the same enthusiasm about running that my little cartoon over there on the right pretends that I have. Fake it until you make it, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment