Sunday, January 25, 2009

Roddickulous

Today's Run:
Distance: 5k
Time: 42:31
Pace: 8:29 per km

Today, I had a plan. One devised to help motivate me into a decent time in the 5k.

I recorded the Australian Open overnight, and I intended to watch Andy Roddick's round of 16 match vs. Tommy Robredo while I ran on the treadmill today. I came downstairs and turned on the TV, and in the 10-15 seconds it takes to switch from live TV (Djokovic vs Baghdatis) to the DVR recording, I heard the announcer say "the winner of this match will likely have an evening match against Andy Roddick in two days time." SABOTAGE! I cued up my recording anyway, only to discover that because it took Federer 5 sets to defeat Berdych, they only showed a few minutes of Roddick's match! So I begrudgingly watched the Federer match during my run and missed what is rumored to be some of the best tennis Andy has played in years. If I could have been watching the match I intended, I probably could have finished my 5k in about 30 minutes, tops. : )

However, since Djokovic did not win his match until well into the middle of the night, this could give Roddick an advantage in a few days when they meet up again in the quarterfinals.

I keep feeling like I haven't improved at all. When I looked back, though, I realized that I have shaved a little over a minute and a half off my 5k time in the past week. Since I still don't feel like I've "broken through" into being in shape again, I'm hoping that each run is getting me closer and closer to feeling fit again. Once I get to that point I am optimistic that I will be able to start recording decent times again.

No comments:

Post a Comment