Saturday, February 14, 2009

Qualified!

This morning, I ran my 5k qualifying race- and I finished in time! This means I'm now officially registered for the National Half Marathon on March 21, 2009. It also allowed me to set up my grassroots fundraising website for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Please consider making your donation by visiting my fundraising website.

The run went fairly well. It was above freezing, the sky was clear, and the wind was calm. The course was a bit difficult because the first mile was too crowded to get going very quickly, there was one very large hill in the second mile, and there was also a bit of a hill at the very end of the race. I finished the race in just under 30 minutes, so although I was hoping to post a better time, I was really excited that I was able to run a time that qualified me for the half marathon.

I also felt pretty good during the run. My knee felt rested and didn't impair me at all. I iced it after the race to prevent it from getting stiff, and it hasn't felt sore at all today. Headphones were supposed to be prohibited for the race, so I left my iPod at home only to discover that this was treated as more of a "suggestion" than a "rule" for many of the participants who ignored it. Running without the music made me realize how much it helps me in my training. It gives me something to focus on, and it helps keep my energy up, but mostly it prevents me from hearing the sound of myself gasping for air. The 5k course I ran today was only a few minutes from my house, so I might go back for one of my training runs. I'd like to see how long it would take me to complete the course alone with my music. Tomorrow's run is supposed to be 9 miles. I think I'll have a little bit of an extra spring in my step now that this qualification/registration hurdle is out of the way.

I can't really express how much I appreciate the ways you've all shown your support for me and my dad already, but I was thinking about all of you today when my lungs were on fire and my heart was doing its best to escape my chest. I hope that you'll consider contributing financially so that we can provide the same type of support for others who are fighting the same battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment