Monday, April 26, 2010

My Sister's Keeper

Vickie announced on her blog today that she's moving to Maryland after she graduates!  I have been beside myself with excitement since she told us this was her plan.  I have been encouraging her to move in with us post-graduation for some time now, but since I've never before convinced this little firecracker to do anything she didn't want to, I knew she would make the decision on her own.

I'm not operating under any delusion of grandeur. I don't think she's hitching her wagon to mine for the rest of her life, but I'll enjoy her company as long as she's here.  I'm pleased that our house is near so many hospitals that could offer her some great opportunities for career development, and I hope she won't have too much trouble finding a job.  I'm pleased that she knew Billy and I were serious about hoping we could help her make her transition from "Valpo student" to "working adult" a little easier.

As I was looking through my photos to include on this post, I decided I should have known this would come to pass!  How many other non-residents of Charm City have posed for photos in front of so many local landmarks?
Byrd Stadium, University of Maryland, 2006
With Kenz atop Federal Hill and in front of the Inner Harbor, 2007

Oriole Park at Camden Yards, 2007

In front of the Domino Sugars sign, 2009

And I know someone else who will be excited to have her move in!!

(My Sister's Keeper is a novel by Jodi Picoult.  The thing I liked about the book is the way in which it explores the bond shared between sisters and demonstrates that no one can really know which sister is "keeping" which at any given point in time.  The thing I didn't like about the book is that right after Picoult develops a compelling set of circumstances involving the two sisters, she kills one of them off to avoid dealing with these circumstances.  And that's what I don't like about Picoult.  She doesn't know how to finish what she starts.)

Can't get enough Liz and Vickie?  Here are a few more from the archives:

2 comments:

  1. that is awesome! congrats on your upcoming graduation and good luck with the move, Vickie!

    Liz, I love your analysis of Jodi Picoult's M.O. And the childhood pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip hip hooray for Vickie's move!

    I've never read Jodi Picoult, but I still find myself nodding over your analysis! Haha

    ReplyDelete