Friday, April 2, 2010

Tell Me

This semester, I'm taking a class about "the color line" in 19th century American fiction with one of the pre-eminent scholars in the field.  I don't think this is an overstatement.  He helps edit the Norton Anthologies of American Literature. 

Last night, before we started talking about Harriet Beecher Stowe's Dred (the follow-up to Uncle Tom's Cabin), we were talking about plans for next year, and he made the following comments:

"The best students always come off the wait list.  They think they have to work harder."
"I got into my PhD program off the wait list."
"Who could do their best work after being offered a $50,000 fellowship?"

We'll pretend for a minute that his wait list was not at Stanford University (currently the #2 program in the country, according to the rankings).  Last night, this might be the thing I needed most to hear someone tell me.  I most certainly do have to work harder than many of my classmates, so it was really nice to know that this sort of dedication doesn't go unnoticed.

Especially since I still have so much work to do before I finish up with Willa.

("Tell Me" is a Shel Silverstein poem.  It reads:
Tell me I'm clever,
Tell me I'm kind,
Tell me I'm talented,
Tell me I'm cute,
Tell me I'm sensitive,
Graceful and wise,
Tell me I'm perfect-
But tell me the truth.)

2 comments:

  1. Okay, the truth..
    You are the BEST!
    You are thoughtful, kind, generous, loving, persistent, dedicated, loyal, intense, challenging, giving, sincere, devoted, passionate, intelligent, gifted, helpful.....
    I could go on and on, but the best part for me is that you are my daughter and I am so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom. That was a really nice note.

    (It might also do something to help explain why "humble" is a term rarely used to describe me.) : ) : )

    ReplyDelete