Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Good Man is Hard to Find

Flannery O'Connor is right.  A good man is hard to find. Personally, I found it to be impossible.  I had to wait until a good man found me, but I sure am glad I did.

Today, on the heels of his excellent performance appraisal, Billy found out he has been promoted at work!  He has been taking on more managerial responsibilities each year since he started working at the STScI, and now that he has been named a Systems Integration and Test Engineer, his ascension up the ranks is official!  He even let Patti and Chuck meet us for dinner to mark the occasion, so I will not test his patience by going on and on about how proud of him I am.  But I am.  He deserves it.

While Billy is hard at work each day, Oscar and I are working on holding down the fort at home.  My gym routine was starting to leave me pretty exhausted, so I have scaled back to walking around the neighborhood, and nobody is happier about this development than Oscar.  Evidently it wears him out because he has been spending even more time than usual cuddled up in our bed.  I never cease to be entertained by how he tucks himself into the covers, props his head on pillows as if he were a human, and persists at nudging your legs into just the right position so he can maximize his comfort.




So it goes around our house.  We're ready for you whenever you're ready, Baby D!

3 comments:

  1. Also, thanks so much for the jezebel website - so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so close! I'm looking forward to hearing about the whole experience, but know I will have to be patient while you fall in love with Baby Girl and enjoy your first days with your growing family.

    Seriously, though, how did you motivate yourself to exercise so regularly? It sounded like you were out of commission the first tri, but then you were a busy little bee - school, gym, nursery, etc. I'm hoping I can muster the motivation to do both work and gym, starting next week ... I'll keep you in mind for some inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercise is really important for me to maintain a positive state of mind and a good attitude about my body. I'd like to say I went to the gym for the baby, but I went to the gym because it made me feel good physically, it made me feel good about myself, and it helped me come to terms my ever-changing body. Realistically, the elements I did for the baby were giving up running and taking it easy while exercising.

    I've always been good at being busy, so the real struggle for me has been slowing down and taking it easy. While I've accomplished a lot during my pregnancy, the past six months have been far and away the least "productive" of my adult life, and this is the first time I've really stopped to relax in years. It has been hard for me to get used to not having that persistent sense of accomplishment I get from staying busy... but I think it has been really good preparation for motherhood that I've been forced to slow down, look at things from a different perspective, and re-evaluate what I think of as "productive."

    I hope that as you return to work, you'll find a routine that makes you feel good and helps you prepare for the baby's arrival, both mentally and physically, and that you won't be too hard on yourself if that routine doesn't look exactly like you expected it to look.

    And I can't wait to experience the birth and baby portion of pregnancy, either! I'll be sure to get some pictures up fairly soon after the little one arrives, even if it takes me a bit longer to write about everything. : ) I know I'll have less time for blogging, but it has been such a pleasure to share my experience of pregnancy with others in this space that I imagine I will feel the same way about parenting.

    ReplyDelete