Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Team for America

Yesterday, we attended what is likely to be our final Navy football game of the season.  They play again at home on October 22, and though it's possible Baby D will not have arrived by then, I doubt I will want to sit through a football game when I'm over 40 weeks pregnant.

Last week's game was cold and drizzly, so it was nice to have a return of perfect weather this week.  Our friends Amy and Brian left their nearly 9 month old daughter Jenna with Amy's parents, so it was fun to have them join us for part of the tailgate.  As new parents themselves, they had some funny stories to share with us about their first few months with Jenna.  Navy was playing Southern Mississippi, and we ended up parked next to a whole group of their fans, but they turned out to be super friendly.  I was sorry I could not partake in the Bourbon Slush they shared with us and Billy was sorry that his recently developed shrimp allergy prevented him from enjoying some of the jambalaya they spent the entire morning concocting on the grill.

We snapped a few pictures, so I thought I'd share those.





Once the game started, we were extra glad the weather was so delightful because Navy's play left much to be desired.  The Mids drove the ball all the way down the field, but after they were stopped at the goal line, Southern Mississippi blocked the field goal attempt and ran it back for a touchdown.  From there, it just got worse.  Navy didn't look much like the team we are used to seeing, so we are hoping they can turn the season around quickly.  I wasn't too uncomfortable sitting in the stands, but I wasn't sorry to leave after the third quarter, either.

I love this picture of me and Billy at the game last year, and I thought it would be funny to recreate the same picture again yesterday to prove that my belly has reached ridiculous proportions.


Here's to hoping that next season, we can pose for the same photo again with me back in my favorite Navy tee and with little missy taking the place of the baby bump!

(A Team for America is a forthcoming book about what the 1944 Army Navy game meant to a country at war.  Sounds interesting!)

2 comments:

  1. I love the side-by-side photos - could be a cute theme to continue for years to come! You look great. And happy. Enjoy this last week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo! Wasn't it nice that Billy happened to be wearing the exact same shirt and hat? : )

    ReplyDelete