Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Beautiful Mind

I feel like I often write things like "Nora's little brain amazes me" or "I can't believe the things she figures out" without giving specific details that make those comments meaningful.  So I thought I'd share a story from this evening which goes to show why little Nora boggles our minds sometimes.

We've been working on helping her learn to drink out of a sippy cup.  The ones we've been using have a silicone spout with a little hole in it.  When we tip it, a little bit of water shoots out, but then the flow stops unless she sucks on it.  Billy is good at helping her with it, but somehow I always let her suck more water than she can easily swallow, so it's a work in progress.

Two baths ago, we gave her a rubby ducky in hopes of putting an end to her persistent desire to climb right out of the tub.  Tonight, she was playing with the ducky in her hands, dunking it in the water, etc.  Then Billy filled it with water and squeezed it in front of her, causing a stream of water to squirt out of its beak and onto her.

Immediately, she reached for the ducky, stuck the beak into her mouth, and kind of tilted her head back before sucking.  Billy and I looked at each other, awestruck.  To us, it's a rubber ducky.  To her, it looks and functions just like her sippy cup.  The human brain is an amazing thing.

Update: I noticed that above, I first called it a "rubby ducky," which seems like an honest mistake, but since I wrote "beak" instead of "bill" twice, that seems like more of a mental glitch.  I am leaving those errors as they appear to record the fact that my mind is, perhaps, not quite as sharp as Nora's at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment