Friday, November 2, 2012

Heavy Silence

What do you call a witch hunt when it finds a witch? And how it feels to be George Hincapie right now but also for the past 15 years.

Blasting Carbonleaf, Mumford & Sons, and fun. in the car to calm Nora down when she's crying: good or bad parenting?

The fact that my students are capable of discussing a novel for 75 minutes with about 75% participation without a word out of my mouth: proof of merely excellent students, or excellent students and good teaching?

Billy's dominance at work and home, as evidenced by his always improving managerial and bottle washing skills.

How great it is to have Vickie in Baltimore and how Nora seems to think she is the B team Mom.

How Nate is taking care of business like a boss-- in life and in work-- and how the people of Bend are the lucky beneficiaries of this fact.

Speculation on how Ashley's influence on Nate manages to flare up in funny ways, like his willingness to pose in baby bump photos and post sweet captions to Instagram pics.

How hard Katie is killing it in our program and in the classroom, and how proud it makes me as her friend and fellow waitlister.

How Anne-Marie's anxiety about the uncertainty of parenthood manifests itself through stressing out over baby monitors, how I worry that my own struggles after Nora's birth might be adding to her stress unfairly, and how I know that by this time next year, she'll have it all under control.

Whether or not it is appropriate for me to psych myself up for my exam by doing the "rage" motion fans do when the A's closer comes in.

Which baseball team is the only one to have three golden glove winners, and how lame those trophies are given the prestige of the award.

The theoretical concept of "cruel optimism" and how I've been trying to use it to think through how I can improve my relationships.

These are all things I would've been talking to my dad about lately. Instead there's just this heavy silence.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps your dad would remind you that the fact that my pre-baby anxiety ranks among your chief thoughts, especially when your brainspace is already plenty full of exam prep and parenting concerns, indicates that you are such a good friend. He might tell you that being this kind of friend, sister, mom, and wife is one of your greatest accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew all of my years on the B team would come in handy some day!

    And Ditto to what AM said. I talked about you a lot while in Oregon and every single person (whether they knew you or not) was amazed that you're chasing such a difficult dream while raising a family, and doing it in spite of the people in your program who think you can't.

    And since the Balfour himself doesn't do the dance, you can go ahead and just pick your theme song, and I'll rage for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet and touching. I'm honored to be included here :) And you are one of the most amazing women I know - I completely agree with what AM said.

    ReplyDelete