Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Deerslayer


This week, my reading buddy and I are trying to get through all 450 pages of James Fenimore Cooper's The Deerslayer. It's slow going. If my professor began the semester with this book to scare off the not-so-determined, it worked: we only had 5 people in class on Monday.

I'm trying to teach Oscar that the best way to get all your homework done is to get the boring stuff out of the way before you begin the fun stuff. I only learned to apply this strategy when I began graduate school. We are down to our last 80ish pages of The Deerslayer, so this weekend we will be free to enjoy Mary Austin's Stories from the Countries of Lost Borders!

Meanwhile, Billy is gearing up for a grand slam match against Andy Roddick-- on the Wii Grand Slam Tennis game. And in the wake of Andy's real life loss to Marin Cilic, I have switched my loyalties for this tournament to the Other Andy, who I hope can upset the winner of tonight's Federer/Tsonga match to win his first major. If you didn't see the unbelievable shot Murray hit near the end of his win over Cilic, you can check it out here. How did he even get a racquet on it??

2 comments:

  1. cute doggy

    This is great blog. If you enjoy sartorialist you will enjoy this blog too.

    http://internationalmode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: We have slain the deer. Onto the beautiful wonderful expansive WEST!

    ReplyDelete