Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hard Times

The news coming in this week has ranged from anxiety-inducing to downright tragic. But I refuse to despair. Through it all, I choose hope-- Hope in humankind and the power of the individual will to do good.

I got my seminar paper/writing sample back from my professor, who as the director of the graduate program, plays a large role in whether I get into the PhD program. She was encouraging about my plan to use it for my capstone Master's project, but critical of its organization. I get to the point around page 9, she says. For a few days I felt like the hammer had fallen on my entire application. When I met with her, though, she told me, "This is good work, Liz. This is when revision really begins. Everything before was just drafting." This woman has command of so many complicated theoretical concepts that when she speaks in short, declarative sentences, the point hits home. It's good work. Maybe good enough to get me into the program. If not, still work I can be proud of.

Mark McGwire admitted to using steroids. He says he used them only to help himself recover from injuries, and that he wishes he had never played in the "steroid era." What a coward. I thought Jason Giambi's non-admission apology was as bad as it could get (particularly for those of us who are A's fans), but at least he didn't seem delusional. The good news, though, is that nobody is quite satisfied with McGwire's "admission." Everyone points out that he took too long to tell the "truth." And that he is possibly more responsible than anyone else for creating this "steroid era" that he laments. I think this means that baseball continues to head in the right direction. While many in baseball are skeptical about his intentions, several important people have shown him grace. Although Tony LaRussa was made to look like a fool for defending him, LaRussa is still keeping him on staff. The Maris Family and Hank Aaron say they have forgiven him. Maybe the generosity of these individuals will help him learn how to become a grown man who stops making excuses for himself.

Both of these pale in comparison, however, to the heartbreaking images that are coming out of Haiti in the aftermath of Tuesday's earthquake. It's really difficult, almost impossible, for me to watch. These are people whose everyday lives were difficult enough before all the walls came down. I'm deeply encouraged, though, that in this time of great need, all kinds of people are coming together to help. It's finally as easy to donate money to help the victims of a tragedy as it is to cast your vote for American Idol. That campaign has already raised over $10 million. The people of the Dominican Republic immediately came to the Haitians' aid despite the long-standing tensions between those countries. On the eve of the Australian Open, the world's top tennis players set aside their preparation routines to organize an exhibition match and are donating all of the proceeds to the victims of the earthquake.

I believe that humans are fundamentally good creatures, and that it is in our nature to want to make life good for ourselves and others. This belief is sometimes hard to maintain in a world where there is so much publicity given to the division between religions, countries, and politicians. I am thankful that humankind has shown, in the wake of this natural disaster, that humans still can set all of those issues aside, come together, and just plain try to help.

(Hard Times is Charles Dickens's shortest novel and among his, my favorite. As one who agrees that we reap what we sow, I can't help but be drawn to a text split into three sections titled "Sowing," "Reaping," and "Garnering.")

No comments:

Post a Comment