Sunday, January 31, 2010

Everything and More

This morning, I awoke to watch my DV-R recording of the Federer/Murray match. Despite a glimmer of hope in the third set that Murray might push it into a fourth, the match was decisively won by Roger Federer. This year, they tears in defeat belonged to Andy Murray.

Perhaps we here at Literature is Where I Go should give Roger Federer his due. The greatest tennis player of all time? Possibly. The greatest player of my tennis-watching life? Easily. Sorry, Pete.

Furthermore, there is no denying the beauty of Roger Federer's game. David Foster Wallace's 2006 essay, "Roger Federer as Religious Experience," comes closer to doing justice to Federer's style of play than anything else I've read. It's even more compelling because it continues to ring true several years later.

(David Foster Wallace is the author of Infinite Jest, which I referenced here. He is also the author of Everything and More, a book I know nothing about, but a title which seems appropriate for a discussion of Mr. Federer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment