Sunday, August 12, 2012

Birthday Weekend

So far, being 30 has been perfect!  Friday, Billy took off work so the three of us could visit Harpers Ferry.  We woke up to storms, so I was afraid the trip would have to wait, but Billy said we'd have a clear window after Nora's nap, and the weather ended up being humid but tolerable.  The town itself is not much to see, but we spent a few hours wandering around the historic landmarks, walking along the water, and checking out the Appalachian trail.  I loved having a chance to visit somewhere new and beautiful with my little family, and Nora was as curious as ever about the new surroundings.  I'd love to go back sometime when Nora is old enough for outdoor recreation, like more serious hiking, river rafting, and floating in an inner tube.  It would also be a great place to visit when the leaves are changing.

The Potomac and Shenendoah rivers meet at Harpers Ferry, so this is the place where Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland meet.  The photo above was taken in West Virginia, looking at the railroad bridge which crosses the Potomac and goes into Maryland.  You can't read much besides "toilet powder" on the advertisement on the rocks, but google informs me that it was a Mennen ad painted between 1903 and 1906.


Here, we're standing on the Appalachian Trail in Maryland, with the Potomac and Virginia behind us.  As you can see, Nora was thrilled by the whole experience.


This one I took on the railroad bridge, looking back toward the Shenandoah river and West Virginia.  You can see the supports for the old bridge that used to cross the Shenandoah there.

After we returned from Harpers Ferry, Vickie joined us for dinner, so I got to spend time with all of my Maryland relatives on my birthday.  What more could I ask for?  Well, today was the Crab Feast Billy's family attends every August, so I got to see almost all of my in-laws, as well!  Last year, I was heavily pregnant at the Crab Feast, and this event marked the occasion when the most strangers touched my belly. Perhaps this gave Nora an early clue that she would be a central attraction at the event this year, because she was on her best behavior.  She was cheerful, inquisitive, and awake for four straight hours!  She let everyone hold her for a little while and was happy even when Billy and I were completely out of sight.  It was great to see everyone and give them a chance to see what a fun little personality she is developing!  I snapped a few photos of her with her adoring family members:






And because I remembered that Billy, my bump, and I posed in a photo at the Crab Feast last year, I wanted to replicate it this year with our little lady on the outside.  What a difference a year makes!


Thanks to everyone who sent cards, texts, voicemails, and messages to wish me a happy birthday this year.  I had the most perfect birthday weekend a 30 year old could imagine, and I can't wait to see what this next year has in store for my little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment