Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Our Perfect 10

Nora is 10 months old today!



We spent her tenth monthday grabbing lunch with a friend who is expecting a baby early next year.  Talking to her about pregnancy and all its emotional and physical ups and downs made me nostalgic for that period when we were anxiously awaiting Nora's arrival.  It made me wonder, if I could only say one thing to parents who are expecting, what would it be?  I think the answer is this: Treat everything like a phase.  The tough stuff will be over quickly, so even though some days feel way too long and bedtime doesn't come soon enough, hang in there.  Some of the good stuff will be over quickly, too, so try to savor it before it changes.  I can hardly believe how big Nora is, or how delightful she is, or how every day she seems less like a baby and more like a little kid.  When I watch Billy interacting with her, or I realize that I've done something like calming her down in mere seconds from across the room, I realize how much we've changed in these ten months, too.  I sympathize with how overwhelmed and nervous my friend feels now, in the midst of her excitement, and it makes me happy to think that by the time her baby is ten months old, she'll feel confident enough to give advice of her own.  Motherhood is a steep learning curve, but when you start at the bottom, you have nowhere to go but up, and the rewards are better than anything you've ever known.

We love our little girl so much.  We feel like our time with her is moving too quickly, but we enjoy watching her grow more independent, interactive, and inquisitive by the day.  We can't wait to see what tomorrow will have in store.

Today, instead of trying to explain the new things she can do, I thought I'd get down on her level and try to get some pictures of her in her natural habitat.  Enjoy!


(If you want to know why I think my baby has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen, enlarge that one above as big as it will go.)


The other thing I'd say to new parents who are struggling with the newborn stage as much as we did?  I'd tell them it's just a hill they have to get over, and there's a Mumford & Sons song about that.


And there will come a time,
you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart,
but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see
what you find there,
With grace in your heart
and flowers in your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment