Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Milk: It does a body good.

I have this fear that I am not going to be able to pump enough milk to keep up with Nora's needs while she's at daycare.  From what I've read, this problem is not uncommon, and especially as children get older and need less milk, a lot of moms who work full time end up having to supplement with formula.  So I have been pumping every night before bed to build up a freezer stash in case my supply starts to dry up.  My daughter might have to sacrifice my time and attention for the good of our family unit, but she shouldn't have to sacrifice the perfect food my body produces to give her exactly what she needs.  I counted last night, and I have over 20 bottles worth of milk waiting and ready to go.  I really dislike pumping, and I groan to myself every time I realize that it's time to go do it, but I still continue.  I tend to think this is one part ultimate labor of love, one part completely neurotic, so I guess we could say it's a pretty good representation of my approach to motherhood in general.

One thing I know for sure, though, is that between nursing and feeding herself two meals a day, she is getting all the nourishment her little body needs.  She is tipping the scales at nearly 19 pounds despite being short for her age.  And look at all this energy she has to burn off!




I think I've watched this clip fifteen times since I recorded it this morning.  It makes me laugh so hard.  When she starts bouncing like this, Oscar looks at me like she has lost her mind before sprinting upstairs as fast as possible.

4 comments:

  1. You're awesome! Pumping is awful in some ways, but what on earth is more rewarding? :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. I don't know how you did it!

      Delete
  2. Liz, I pulled up my Google Reader today while eating my cheerios and drinking my decaf, and I told Nate, "I love the days that Liz has a new post ready for me to read!" "Tell her!", he said.
    It really does make my day. From the day I met you under the hardest of circumstances, you've been nothing but honest and welcoming to me and I enjoy hearing about your life, struggles, accomplishments and joys. So thanks for letting me tag along for the ride. And thank you for making me feel like part of the family too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley-- this comment made my day! It has been a pleasure to have you join the family, and I'm only sorry we haven't gotten a chance to spend more time together (yet). There are a lot of reasons I write the blog, but one of the main ones is because I'm not too good at other forms of "keeping in touch"-- so if you feel like you've been able to get to know me a little better by reading along, I'm so glad!

      Delete